[sf-lug] installing ubuntu but wanting a fixed ip address

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 21:42:40 PST 2008

I spent the evening installing Ubuntu 8.10 (while listening to the election results) but not without difficulties (with regard to Ubuntu, not the election:-) that I think do not speak well for Ubuntu.
I'd be interested in others' comments.
I wanted a fixed IP address for this machine.
To achieve this I ended up having to edit the following files,each in the way indicated:
/etc/resolv.conf : nameserver line(s) and making this file immutable
/etc/network/interfaces: static, address, netmask, default, etc
/etc/init.d/rc.local: added line ifup eth0
Things now seem to be working but surely there must (or should be) an easier way.
"I'll take my answer off the air."
alex

a_kleider at yahoo.com