[sf-lug] Has Linux outgrown Unix?

Jeffrey Malone ieatlint at tehinterweb.com
Wed Oct 15 16:14:18 PDT 2008

The BSDs are also UNIX derivatives.
NetBSD, OpenBSD and FreeBSD are all FOSS UNIX derivatives, and further
apart from true UNIX than Solaris, HP-UX and AIX.

Books on UNIX exist because all UNIX derivatives have a large number
of similarities.  The standard system layout (with a few changes), and
standard system tool set are all identical.
If you know how to do basic system maintenance on Linux (in a
non-distribution-specific way [eg, sysv]), then you would be able to
intuit them on all UNIX derivatives.  This includes things like init
scripts, and the standard layout of where to put configuration files
and libraries.

Major exceptions exist to this, of course.  For instance, Darwin is a
UNIX derivative, but it's not System V (at least, I'm 99% sure it's
not)... so there will be notable differences.  Still, all the standard
UNIX tools will be there... from simplistic navigation, to ed and
string manipulations through awk/sed/grep.
I suppose you could compare it to Linux and the specific
distributions.  You can be an expert on Ubuntu and be totally lost in
large parts of Fedora.  But the base will be the same -- and the base
system tools will be identical.  Knowing one helps you to intuit
others.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification for more information.
For information about System V, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_V -- this is likely what that book
was about.  The majority of UNIX derivatives use System V or a
bastardisation of it, including 99% of Linux of distributions (it is
possible to use Linux outside of a sysv environment).

Jeffrey