[sf-lug] Has Linux outgrown Unix?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 15 17:15:22 PDT 2008

Quoting Jeffrey Malone (ieatlint at tehinterweb.com):

> Major exceptions exist to this, of course.  For instance, Darwin is a
> UNIX derivative, but it's not System V (at least, I'm 99% sure it's
> not)...

However, Darwin (&OS X) implements SUS 03 and POSIX.1, and has since
(IIRC) back in the NeXTStep days, so it's as SystemV-ey as anyone really
cares about.

The whole BSD v. SystemV thing pretty much ended in 1988 with USL and
Sun's release of System V r. 4.0, which merged the most compelling
advantages of the Berkeley and New Jersey variants of that day.
Everyone got aboard except for the *BSD people -- who grudgingly did
later, anyway, courtesy of SUS and (especially) POSIX.