[sf-lug] volunteers needed for St. Anthony's installfest

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 11:40:09 PDT 2008

hi,

Volunteers are needed to install Linux, teach Linux use, and repair
computers at this event, to be held on September 27, 2008, at St. Anthony's
Foundation at 150 Golden Gate Avenue between Jones and Leavenworth from 9
a.m. to 2 pm.  The first link is the original link, and the second link is
the tinyurl link for the same page, in case the long link breaks.

http://www.sfconnect.org/projects/viewProject.php?_mode=occurrenceView&_action=load&ixActivity=193&_clearFlag=specialevent&_clearFlag=course&ixAffiliateRegion=&sZipcode=&bAvailable=&dtBegin=&dtEnd=&PHPSESSID

http://tinyurl.com/6626q8

The big news with this event is that the Microsoft Windows advocates will
_not_ be at this event, which is a big change from the past.  In the past,
there was a Linux team and a Microsoft Windows team.  Now, for the first
time, we have an opportunity to promote Linux without the presence of a team
offering Microsoft Windows.  This means that we have the chance to fill
establish close ties with the institutions that are sponsoring this event.
These institutions (St. Anthony's and the City & County of San Francisco's
Tech Connect program) have a tremendous reach into hundreds of non-profits
in San Francisco.  By establishing closer ties with these agencies, we have
the very real opportunity to increase membership in SF-LUG and multiply our
reach.

St. Anthony's is also offering to give us free space once per month for
meetings!  We have been talking for some time about having another meeting
per month at a new location, potentially downtown, to support non-profits
which are interested in exploring a migration to Linux.  This event on
September 27 would be a great opportunity to start a long-term relationship
with one of the most well-funded, well-run charities in San Francisco!  They
have recently purchased a brand new building, so it will be very fresh and
clean and new.

The website linked above has a spot for registering and signing up for the
event.  Please consider signing up for the event, or, if you don't like to
sign up, please email me either here on this list or privately to indicate
your interest in this event.

Thank you for considering participating in this event!

--
Christian Einfeldt,
Producer, The Digital Tipping Point