[sf-lug] Slides from UbuCon @ LinuxWorld 2008

toya toya at linefeed.org
Tue Aug 12 18:13:05 PDT 2008

Hi Sameer,

Very interesting history. In Brazil I used to work for the Ministry
of Communications who has a project called 'Gesac', where we found a
simular solution for when you have nice machines as clients.
Gesac is a digital inclusion project which creates free internet access
for poor, remotes communities. It has over 3 thousand of this computer
labs spread all over the country receiving satelite internet connection.
It exist since 2003, besides access to the internet, we would also provide
some services for free to the communities like, trainnings, video/audio
stream, a wiki, a cms, hosting places for websites produced by them, voip,
24/7 technnical support via internet/phone.

I worked as a consultant for the Ministry on building the services we
provide and also within the communities giving trainnings and specially
teaching them about hardware and the most important concepts of a Operation
System, free software, specially about linux, about the many distributions,
how is the system architeture and some internet related stuff.

It was a really good project but it didn't had that much money and it was
a battle to keep it going.
we had to deal with machines running with 64MB memory, no HD..hehe mostly
junk from the government basement (specially the bank of brazil) that was
donated to the communities. Sometimes NGOÅ's, companies or the municipal
government would add some money or better equipment to help out the project.
The federal government was mostly dedicating their budget to provide the
internet connection and those services, but they would also give 1 good
computer that would be the server for the thin client network (normally we
would build a network with 20 machines). Anw, LTSP was a great solution
for us till when the 'quality' of the donations started to grown:)
and we start to receive better machines so we started to investigate for
a better solution which at the time was XDMCP, where you run X in the
thin clients - at this point our machines *did* had a hd!

I took a quick look at the ubuntu solution you pointed out and remind
me of XDMCP.
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/

bye
toya