[sf-lug] Slides from UbuCon @ LinuxWorld 2008

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Aug 12 13:12:56 PDT 2008

toya wrote:
> Nice slides, in Brazil, I have being using LTSP to set up
> internet labs with recycled computers since around 2001,
> when we builded our first lab! this is a great technology
> and really helpful on recycling computers and digital inclusion
> projects!
> bye
> toya

Hi Toya,

We've been using LTSP for over one year now. We've had our Ubuntu-based
Linux lab for three years now. In fact, now that I think of it, we have
had Linux machines in our labs for a while now. Before we had Ubuntu
machines, we had RedHat, SuSE and even Lycoris at one point
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycoris_(company))! Anyway, the
significant problem with individual installs was in keeping the machines
maintained. That's why we switched to LTSP with Edubuntu.

That worked great, but some budget somewhere yielded to a complete lab
upgrade, which resulted in core duos on each desktop (thank you,
taxpayers!). while LTSP worked well in the thin client setup, having
core duos with 2GB RAM sitting there doing the work of a PII with 64MB
RAM was somehow not justifiable. How do we leverage the power of each of
the 32 workstations? That's where the lowfat client came in.
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPFatClients)

It works a lot better because the lowfat configuration allows for
crunching on each workstation locally, while loading the server with
networking, dhcp, nfs, ldap and backups etc. Latency-sensitive apps
perform much better. USB media plugged into the workstation also behaves
well because now it is actually working locally. Updating the image is a
bit more work, but not that much of a hassle.

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University