[sf-lug] COT: New Cellular Phone Laws that Go Into Effect July 1, 2008

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sun Jun 29 14:26:26 PDT 2008

COT: Completely off-topic, but this might be helpful to many of you. Two
new laws that go into effect on July 1, 2008 about using cellular phones
while driving. Come to think of it, its not as OT as I thought it was.
There is a mention of laptop use for those who are under 18. From the page:

DRIVERS UNDER 18

Q: Am I allowed to use my wireless telephone "hands-free?"
A: No. Drivers under the age of 18 may not use a wireless telephone,
pager, laptop or any other electronic communication or mobile services
device to speak or text while driving in any manner, even "hands-free."
EXCEPTION: Permitted in emergency situations to call police, fire or
medical authorities (VC §23124).

Full text at http://www.dmv.ca.gov/cellularphonelaws/index.htm

cheers,
Sameer