[sf-lug] at teatime, etc.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jun 3 02:58:37 PDT 2008

> at teatime is likely a GNU and/or Vixie cron extention ... might be handy,
> but not a most portable, or standards compliant construct ... but noon and
> midnight likely are, as they go way back into rather to quite early UNIX at(1)

It's been in *BSD since forever.  It's been Thomas Koenig's[1] "at" (e.g.,
in Linux) since forever.  It's been in at least the last few major
revisions of Solaris.  I'm _pretty_ sure it's also been in SysV flavours
generally since at least r4.

So, I guess the next time y'all find yourself hammering Bourne commands
via an ADM3 onto that VAX running UNIX Version 7 in your basement,
you're going to be hosed.

Anyway, I forgot to add that you can use syntax like
$ at noon tomorrow
or
$ at teatime today

...which is pretty cool in itself.[2]

[1] Note:  Sorry, no, not Paul Vixie.
[2] Sorry, "$ at teatime yesterday" doesn't work without the TARDIS
    extensions.