[sf-lug] at teatime, etc.

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 3 02:28:55 PDT 2008

Ah yes, I might've responded more tersely with:
at(1)
... in any case, at(1), cron[d]/crontab, batch, et. seq. quite handy,
... most commonly:
at for future one-shots
batch for (about) now ... or when the load permits (and detached, etc.
like at), and
crontab - for repeated regular scheduling.

Some other differences to note:
if the system is down when the event would have run, with at, the scheduled
events are started in the proper order when the system is up.  With crontab,
they're skipped (see also anacron).  at/batch vs. crontab also have
different behaviors regarding environment and the like.

at teatime is likely a GNU and/or Vixie cron extention ... might be handy,
but not a most portable, or standards compliant construct ... but noon and
midnight likely are, as they go way back into rather to quite early UNIX at(1)

references/excerpts:
news:53vqk9$ebh at crl6.crl.com