[sf-lug] Problems with a Comcast modem; no IP address given

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 23:16:09 PDT 2008

hi

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com>
wrote:

> hi
>
> With the telephone support of two of the more able members of this LUG, I
> spent about 8 hours yesterday attempting to hook up a low-income family with
> a Hardy machine on Comcast service.  The problem is the Arris TM502G cable
> modem.  The modem will not hand out an IP address.

This was the strangest problem.  It has resolved now but not sure why.
Daniel Gimpelevich, who contributed heavily to this family, believes that
Comcast might have actually black-listed the NIC on this machine.  Get
this:  that same machine, when moved temporarily to the school, was able to
instantly see the Internet with both the natively XP install (soon to be
replaced with Hardy) and when Hardy was booted up in that machine's CD-ROM,
Hardy was able to instantly see the Internet as well.

And it gets more freaky.  A Gutsy machine (later upgraded to Hardy) was also
able to instantly see the Internet WHEN TAKEN TO THE FAMILY'S HOME and put
on that same Comcast modem!!!!  Not only that, but the Comcast guy who came
over was able to get an XP notebook on the Internet instantly.

But that machine, when installed with either XP or Hardy, was not able to
see the Internet through that Comcast modem WHILE AT THAT FAMILY'S HOME !!!

Eventually, we just gave gave this family one of the P4 Hardy machines that
we worked on at the school this weekend, and they are lovin' it!!  They are
really excited, and genuinely so.  They are not just being polite.  They
really seem to appreciate having a working computer, after Windows had
disappointed them so deeply with viruses and Windows rot.

So many thanks to Holden Aust and Daniel Gimpelevich for helping to move
this family to Hardy!  The 12-year-old kid is already getting yelled at by
his mom for spending too much time with Frozen Bubble and TuxRacer.  heh.
---

Christian Einfeldt,
Producer, The Digital Tipping Point