[sf-lug] Problems with a Comcast modem; no IP address given

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Jun 5 12:57:07 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008, Christian Einfeldt wrote:

> This was the strangest problem.  It has resolved now but not sure why.
> Daniel Gimpelevich, who contributed heavily to this family, believes
> that Comcast might have actually black-listed the NIC on this machine.
> Get this:  that same machine, when moved temporarily to the school, was
> able to instantly see the Internet with both the natively XP install
> (soon to be replaced with Hardy) and when Hardy was booted up in that
> machine's CD-ROM, Hardy was able to instantly see the Internet as well.

That's a drag.  You could configure /etc/network/interfaces, or udev, to
change the card's MAC address to one that isn't blacklisted.

> Eventually, we just gave gave this family one of the P4 Hardy machines
> that we worked on at the school this weekend, and they are lovin' it!!
> They are really excited, and genuinely so.  They are not just being
> polite.  They really seem to appreciate having a working computer, after
> Windows had disappointed them so deeply with viruses and Windows rot.

Great - I'm glad you found a less technically complicated solution than
the above.  But the above is possible, so if you need more help on it
later, do ask!

-- Asheesh.

--
O'Brian's Law:
 	Everything is always done for the wrong reasons.