[sf-lug] CUPS printer on Leopard

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 2 21:15:39 PDT 2008

Quoting Nathan Hoover (nathan at foo-o-rama.com):

> The printer is attached to an Ubuntu box which is installed in a
> closet. Attaching to my MacBook really isn't an option, nor is buying
> a Mac server simply because my Mac laptop can't be bothered to connect
> to my printer. :)
>
> I have tried various combinations of the IP, port, and printer name in
> the OS X dialog to no avail.

TCP port 631 is actually the "IPP" (Internet Printing
Protocol" port that the CUPS people grabbed for themselves, and the
"http://my-server:631/printers/CLP-300" form of addressing is actually
something of a kludge, because it's not _really_ HTTP protocol at all.

So, something like:
ipp://my-server/printers/CLP-300

This should also help (i.e., navigate thus -- Printer Setup Utility,
Advanced, Internet Printing Protocol using IPP):
http://www.mcg.edu/itss/help/fileprint/ippmac.htm