[sf-lug] evolution: bug or feature?

jim jim at well.com
Sat May 31 09:01:51 PDT 2008

   my experience in using evolution 2.12.1 on
ubuntu 7.10 involved clicking the (damned)
mouse: turns out one can make typing mistakes
that way, too.

   i get a lot of junk mail so i click the Junk
button a lot.
   today i clicked the Send/Receive button and
saw the download panel showing mail received,
but hey! no mail, even tho' mail was downloaded.
   i looked around and found no mailbox or folder
showing unread messages. i looked at preferences
and found nothing that looked like a control for
downloading in this respect. i sent myself mail
from another account and saw it come in and no
evidence in my inbox or anywhere else.
   taking a guess, i looked at my junk folder:
there was today's mail, all marked as read.

   taking another guess, i used the mouse to
highlight the inbox folder icon and then clicked
the Not Junk button.
   i sent myself mail and whalllah: the inbox
showed the incoming mail, unread.

   bottom line: you can click a mailbox folder
and mark it as junk. do that with the inbox
folder and when evolution gets your mail it
will read it for you in a millisecond and then
put it in your junk folder.
   is this a bug or a feature? (one definition
of a bug: unexpected behavior.)