[sf-lug] Ubuntu release ("back on-list" sub thread)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Apr 27 21:17:51 PDT 2008

Quoting bobbie sellers (bliss at california.com):

> Of course I am totally ignorant of technical matters but I belong
> to two other mailing lists run on different softwares which enable the
> reply to all as standard....

No, reply semantics is always and everywhere the same.

1.  Your "Reply" command reaches just the sender.
2.  Your "Reply-to-All" reaches the sender plus his/her other addresses.

You should always use Reply-to-All when responding to ongoing mailing
list threads.  Use Reply _only_ when you have some compelling reason to
depart from the mailing list into private mail (and then please do
explain your sudden insistence on having a private discussion with
someone who thought he/she was participating in a public one).

The only mailing lists on which that doesn't work are those going out of
their way to sabotage your ability to send private replies.   On those, you
must take manual further steps to overcome the artificial obstacle.
(That scenario is illustrated below.)

> ...which through Thunderbird permit me to reply to individuals.

False.   Let's say that Alice sends mail to an SF-LUG list that munges