[sf-lug] Ubuntu release ("back on-list" sub thread)

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 18:09:04 PDT 2008

Of all the lists that I belong to, this is the only one that exhibits this
behavior.  I will agree with Rick that it is the 'correct' way to be
configured according to standards.  From a technical standpoint it makes a
lot of sense to configure the mail list this way, particularly to avoid the
auto-responder loop.  It is also conceptually correct when you look at it
from the viewpoint that the list is just a middle man and that if you want
to reply to the author you use reply, but if you want to reply to the list,
you use 'reply to all' - 'all' being everyone in the list.  My only gripe
was that from an end user viewpoint, I view the list as a 'person'
responsible for disseminating information.  I would assume that is how the
other lists view it as well.  When I hit reply, I am not replying to the
author, I am replying to the list.  Then again, that view doesn't leave an
easy way to reply privately to an author other than composing a new message
(which I do.)  I suppose it boils down to how you view (or what role you
ascribe to) the list software.

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 5:48 PM, bobbie sellers <bliss at california.com>
wrote:

> Rick Moen wrote:
> > Quoting Ernest De Leon (edeleonjr at gmail.com):
> >
> >> As I said two posts ago, how you run the list is your prerogative.
> >
> > The IETF settled the matter:  Your viewpoint got ashcanned.  That was
> > nearly a decade ago.  The argument's over, dead, buried.  Read the RFCs.
> >
> >> I suppose this is the 3rd we're done?
> >
> > We're done.
> >

>         Of course I am totally ignorant of technical matters but I belong
> to two other mailing lists run on different softwares which enable the
> reply to all as standard and which through Thunderbird permit me to reply
> to individuals.  So are List Serve and "I don't know the name of the
> other one" violating these technical rules?  Or have they found a way
> around it.  I used to belong to a third list which was run from a Mac
> that had the same behavior as standard.  This list is the first where
> I have to make sure I pick the mailing list address and I missed it
> when I started this reply and then corrected it from my address book.
>
>        later
>        bliss -- C  O C O A  Powered
>
> --
>  bobbie sellers -(Back to Angband)Team *AMIGA & SF-LUG*
>
> "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
>  It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
>  the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
>  It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
>        --from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.

Ernest de Leon
http://www.smbtechadvice.com

voiced by Benjamin Franklin

government." - Edward Abbey