[sf-lug] Fwd: Fwd: Capture video from MiniDV over USB?

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 12:34:54 PDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matthew Gillen <me at mattgillen.net>
Date: Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 5:52 AM
Subject: Re: Fwd: Capture video from MiniDV over USB?
To: Kristian Erik Hermansen <kristian.hermansen at gmail.com>
Cc: BLU Discussion <discuss at blu.org>

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:

> [...]

 If there's not a linux driver that knows how to talk to your device,
but there is a windows driver, sometimes you can use this trick where
you use USBSnoop on a windows box to capture the USB commands to start
the device streaming data back to the computer.  Then you can use a
perl script to write those saved commands to the raw USB device while
in linux.

 Here's a more thorough description:
 http://pvrusb2.dax.nu/

 I actually used that trick a few years back, so I know it works (or
at least works with that particular A-to-D converter).

 HTH,
 Matt

--
Kristian Erik Hermansen