[sf-lug] Need help with VirtualBox on openSUSE and Feisty (or Gutsy)

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Sun Apr 6 09:41:46 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 09:04 -0700, Christian Einfeldt wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am in a little bit of a tight spot.  The 7th grade Science teacher
> at the public middle school we are supporting has just told me that
> the Adobe video editing software (Adobe Elements) has arrived.  We
> have two machines with 3 ghz chips, 2 GB of RAM, 250 GB HDs that are
> currently running openSUSE and Feisty respectively.  At one point last
> year, Daniel Gimpelevich was able to get VirtualBox running on both
> boxes (thanks Daniel!).  Now, for some reason, VirtualBox has failed
> on both boxes.  That is odd, since Windows XP was working on both
> boxes previously under VirtualBox.
>
> On the openSUSE box, I am getting an error message saying this:
>
> "VirtualBox kernel driver not installed.  The vboxdrv kernel module
> was either not loaded or /dev/vboxdrv was not created for some
> reasone.  Re-setup the kernel module by executing /etc/init.d/bvoxdrv
> as root.  VBox status code: -1908 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED).
> Result code: 0x80004005.  Component: console: Interface: lConsole
> {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-2230f643c45}.

Have you applied any kernel updates? Most likely you have a mismatch
between the VirtualBox kernel modules and your running kernel which is
meaning that you're getting the message above. If this is the case,
you'd need to either revert to the kernel that VirtualBox was compiled
for, or rebuild the VirtualBox kernel module for your current kernel.

> On the Feisty box, I am just getting the message that there is no
> Virtual Machine installed, and it is offering me to install a new
> virtual machine.  I find that to be very odd, since Daniel Gimpelevich
> did a good job of getting XP working under both machines.

Which user was it setup under? What do you see
under /home/<that_user>/.VirtualBox/Machines ? What you get as the
output of:

uname -a
dpkg --list | grep virtual

Also, it might be worth looking to upgrade this machine to gutsy (or
waiting a little while and going to hardy when it comes out at the end
of this month), as VirtualBox is now packaged as part of the Ubuntu
repositories, which means you don't have to worry about this kind of
stuff...