[sf-lug] Need help with VirtualBox on openSUSE and Feisty (or Gutsy)

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 09:04:15 PDT 2008

hi,

I am in a little bit of a tight spot.  The 7th grade Science teacher at the
public middle school we are supporting has just told me that the Adobe video
editing software (Adobe Elements) has arrived.  We have two machines with 3
ghz chips, 2 GB of RAM, 250 GB HDs that are currently running openSUSE and
Feisty respectively.  At one point last year, Daniel Gimpelevich was able to
get VirtualBox running on both boxes (thanks Daniel!).  Now, for some
reason, VirtualBox has failed on both boxes.  That is odd, since Windows XP
was working on both boxes previously under VirtualBox.

On the openSUSE box, I am getting an error message saying this:

"VirtualBox kernel driver not installed.  The vboxdrv kernel module was
either not loaded or /dev/vboxdrv was not created for some reasone.
Re-setup the kernel module by executing /etc/init.d/bvoxdrv as root.  VBox
status code: -1908 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED).  Result code:
0x80004005.  Component: console: Interface: lConsole
{1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-2230f643c45}.

On the Feisty box, I am just getting the message that there is no Virtual
Machine installed, and it is offering me to install a new virtual machine.
I find that to be very odd, since Daniel Gimpelevich did a good job of
getting XP working under both machines.

Here is my dilemma.  If we don't get XP working in a virtual machine, we
will need to blow away Linux on these machines altogether, we will need to
blow away Linux altogether and install XP natively, because getting Adobe
Elements was the justification for acquiring these machines in the first
place.  That would be sad, because students use these computers every day
under Linux, and this is a marvelous opportunity to continue to expose
students to Free Software.

Thanks in advance.