[sf-lug] Need help with VirtualBox on openSUSE and Feisty (or Gutsy)

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 10:14:05 PDT 2008

hi,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Tom Haddon <tom at greenleaftech.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 09:04 -0700, Christian Einfeldt wrote:
> > hi,
>
> Have you applied any kernel updates?

Well, if there have been kernel updates to either openSUSE 10.2 or Feisty
since we installed them back after those distros were first released, then
yes.  I have not deliberately applied any such updates, as I would not mess
with the kernel unless it was part of an update.

> Most likely you have a mismatch
> between the VirtualBox kernel modules and your running kernel which is
> meaning that you're getting the message above. If this is the case,
> you'd need to either revert to the kernel that VirtualBox was compiled
> for, or rebuild the VirtualBox kernel module for your current kernel.

k, thanks for that info.

>  > On the Feisty box, I am just getting the message that there is no
> > Virtual Machine installed, and it is offering me to install a new
> > virtual machine.  I find that to be very odd, since Daniel Gimpelevich
> > did a good job of getting XP working under both machines.
>
> Which user was it setup under?

Ah, this question helped.  On Feisty, we set it up under one of the users
which has access to sudo (username = kipp).  I typically do not use that
kipp user account, nor do the students, because we do not want them to have
sudo access.  VirtualBox work under that user, and I am now writing this
email in Firefox in an XP machine running under Feisty.  So thanks for
that.  We wanted to keep the login for this account secret, as we do not
want the students to have access to a sudo-capable account.  They use a
generic account (called newsroom) which does not have sudo access, nor does
it have access to Synaptic or any of the other sudo powers under the System
menu option.

So thanks for reminding me of that sudo-capable account (called kipp).  We
could install Adobe under that account, and then just give the password only
to the teacher.  But that does not give us very much flexibility for
allowing the students to login by themselves and access Adobe.  So it would
be good to get VB reinstalled under the generic account (called newsroom).

> What do you see
> under /home/<that_user>/.VirtualBox/Machines ?

kipp at ubuntu:~$ cd .VirtualBox/Machines/
kipp at ubuntu:~/.VirtualBox/Machines$ ls -l
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 4 kipp kipp 4096 2007-08-24 00:33 xp
kipp at ubuntu:~/.VirtualBox/Machines$

> What you get as the
> output of:
>
> uname -a

kipp at ubuntu:~/.VirtualBox/Machines$ uname -a
Linux ubuntu 2.6.20-16-lowlatency #2 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 7 20:23:03 UTC 2007
i686 GNU/Linux
kipp at ubuntu:~/.VirtualBox/Machines$

> dpkg --list | grep virtual

kipp at ubuntu:~/.VirtualBox/Machines$ dpkg --list | grep virtual
ii  kvm
16-1ubuntu2                            Full virtualization on x86 hardware
ii  libgnomevfs2-0
2.18.1-0ubuntu1                        GNOME virtual file-system (runtime
libraries
ii  libgnomevfs2-bin
2.18.1-0ubuntu1                        GNOME virtual file-system (support
binaries)
ii  libgnomevfs2-common
2.18.1-0ubuntu1                        GNOME virtual file-system (common
files)
ii  libgnomevfs2-extra
2.18.1-0ubuntu1                        GNOME virtual file-system (extra
modules)
ii  virtualbox
1.5.2-25433_Ubuntu_feisty              innotek VirtualBox
kipp at ubuntu:~/.VirtualBox/Machines$

> Also, it might be worth looking to upgrade this machine to gutsy (or
> waiting a little while and going to hardy when it comes out at the end
> of this month), as VirtualBox is now packaged as part of the Ubuntu
> repositories, which means you don't have to worry about this kind of
> stuff...

Is that true for both Gutsy as well as Hardy?  I might just have to blow
away openSUSE (temporarily) and install Gusty on the openSUSE box, because
things move really quickly in this school.  The science teacher has been
waiting for some time to do this video editing work, and needs to make his
lesson plan.  If he can't get his lesson plan solidified soon, he is likely
to disregard the Linux solutions, and conclude that it is not worth his
time.  This science teacher has been one of the key advocates for Free
Software at this school, and so I am very much interested in keeping him
satisfied with our Free Software solutions.  He has actually said that he is
willing to explore both Cinelerra and Kino as alternatives to Adobe, which I
think would be awesome.

Thanks for your rapid reply, Tom.