[sf-lug] Which CMS ? Drupal, Joomla, Mambo, PHPNuke or PostNuke?

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 22:43:21 PDT 2008

I have worked with several enterprise implementations of Drupal and it is a
great CMS, but it is probably overkill for what you are going to do.  I
would recommend, instead, going with a blog type system (like Google's
Blogger or Wordpress.)  If you want to host the site yourself (i.e. with
your own hosting account or server) then Wordpress is your best bet.  If you
want someone else to handle the hosting and you just purchase a domain name
(URL) and point it over to the site, I would recommend blogger.  I use
blogger for my tech blog and I absolutely love it.  You can upload pictures
etc just like any other blog and even full photo albums (galleries.)

Good luck.

Ernest

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 10:07 PM, Jim Cortez <jim at jimcortez.com> wrote:

> If you are thinking of using PHPNuke, I would use Nuke-Evolution
> instead. I used PHPNuke on a site I managed for 2 years, there are way
> too many security holes and issues with it. Evolution is PHPNuke with
> multiple security fixes and plugin ports. Don't think that your site
> would be too small to be attacked, I started receiving automatic PHPNuke
> attacks after 1 week of having it up! I have heard that other CMS's you
> mentioned are more secure and well structured.
> Good Luck!
> Jim
>
> http://www.nuke-evolution.com/
>
> Clyde Jones wrote:
> > Hi
> >  I am trying to decide which CMS to use.  I host a site for my
> > cousin's woodworking business and my sister, so I would like something
> > that can do multiple sites. I also want something that is not time
> > consuming to administer.  I currently use Gallery, so integration with
> > that would be quite nice.
> >
> > Anyone have any experience with the aforementioned cms packages?  My
> > end users are not tech savvy so something fairly straight forward in
> > adding content would be great.
> >
> > I know the request is kind of general, but I don't have any specific
> > requirements nailed down (death to a project) and I am trying to
> > gather some preliminary information.
> >
> > Thanks!

Ernest de Leon
http://www.smbtechadvice.com