[sf-lug] Which CMS ? Drupal, Joomla, Mambo, PHPNuke or PostNuke?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 24 11:36:37 PDT 2008

Quoting Ernest De Leon (edeleonjr at gmail.com):

> I have worked with several enterprise implementations of Drupal and it
> is a great CMS

Although:  (1) Rare is the Drupal site that escapes having general
appearance and layout almost indistinguishable from all other Drupal
sites, and (2) you get those rather dreadful URLs[1], a trait it has in
common with many other CMSes including Joomla.

> but it is probably overkill for what you are going to do.

Words of wisdom.  All CMSes introduce their own levels of frustration
and difficulty of debugging, and should IMVAO be used at all only if you
actually _need_ a CMS for some reason.  "I need to do multiple sites" is
not a scenario that suggests a CMS.

By the way, since Gallery itself is notoriously bloated and has
basket-case security, I created:

"Gallery Alternatives" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Apps/

[1] Absent compensating measures that essentially nobody ever does on
account of hassle factor, and/or tend to be cures worse than the
disease, i.e., mod_rewrite.