[sf-lug] Installing and configuring CUPS PDF printer (highly abridged instructions)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Mar 18 22:35:07 PDT 2008

Quoting Alex Kleider (a_kleider at yahoo.com):

> Pretty much all my dealings with Linux printing has been through this
> web based interface. It's only recently that the Monday evening JavaCat
> crowd has encouraged me to use the Ubuntu GUI interface. What I'd
> really like to do is master the command line method but so far I've
> been unsuccessful making it work.

I don't know of a command-line method of configuring CUPS, unless you
count hand-editing the /etc/cups/*.conf files.  Which would probably be
a bit painful.

Printer setup on most OSes, most of the time, has been a pain in the
derriere, over the years.  The thing is, CUPS's built-in port-631 HTTP
administrative interface is about as simple as such things get, doesn't
require any other software (in contrast to that GNOME front-end you
mention, or kdeprint, etc.), and Just Works<tm>.