[sf-lug] Installing and configuring CUPS PDF printer (highly abridged instructions)

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 07:36:00 PDT 2008

--- Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
  The thing is, CUPS's built-in port-631
> HTTP
> administrative interface is about as simple as such things get,
> doesn't
> require any other software (in contrast to that GNOME front-end you
> mention, or kdeprint, etc.), and Just Works<tm>.

No argument with any of the above (including the part I didn't
include:-) except that it assumes you have a browser to run which in
turn, at least for most, assumes you have a gui. So until I learn how
to use Lynx (another of my "one of these years" projects) ....

On a more serious note: The Unix Printing System : CUPS Software
Administrators Manual CUPS-SAM-1.1.21 describes the use of lpinfo
(which if I remember correctly DID work for me) and /usr/sbin/lpadmin
which is what actually gets things done BUT which didn't seem to work
for me although it's been long enough ago that I don't remember the
exact problem.

I'm finding it difficult to break out of the gui force field!

a_kleider at yahoo.com