[sf-lug] how to get computers?

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 18:44:00 PST 2008

hi

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 5:25 PM, jim stockford <jim at well.com> wrote:

> as to having a give-away meeting:
>    pluses are they come get the computers and
> we can give them a one-shot training session.

In my experience, if you don't get people to "buy in" to the computer by
coming to a class or two, they don't value the box, and there is a greater
likelihood that they will just install Microsoft Windows on it.

> it would be nice to give a CD-ROM away with
> every computer so's each person has a copy
> of the OS for recovery

This is a really good idea.

> .
>    minuses include a seeming restriction on the
> window of time they can get one: only when
> we're there to give 'em away; and only those
> who can get there get one--what about people
> without transportation or the single mom in
> antioch....

Again, IMHO, this is a "buy-in" issue.  The real world digital tipping point
is getting closer every day now, I believe, and so we no longer are in a
position where we have to be extra special nice to get people to adopt these
boxes.  We should try to impose some measure of discipline and desire in
people who get our boxes, because there *are* people out there who will jump
through a few hoops to get a box, and for the rest, we don't want them as
"clients" anyway, because they will just waste our time.

>    maybe have a give-away meeting as well as
> another means to get computers to those who
> need them.

Yeah, if we have a giveaway meeting and we do it regularly and get people to
sign up, that again will instill a sense of having "earned" the computer,
and it will build community.  People really need to "get" it that they must
give back to the community.  I don't particularly like to support leeches
any more.  I have supported a lot of leeches, and I am tired of it.  I feel
that my time is valuable, and I want the "clients" to acknowledge the same
by having some orderliness about picking up a box and showing that they will
learn.

Just my two cents.