[sf-lug] When GUI X sessions turn bad...

RBV GoodWriter2548 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 26 21:40:00 PST 2008

Bill:

Okay -- I think I see what you mean.

For what it's worth, it seems to be a known Ubuntu (Linux?) behavior that the F8 virtual terminal (vt) displays the text-based trace of X activity for the default F7 vt.  So that particular window seems to be in use; properly so, I think.

But after logging into F1 and using "startx -- :1" to start a new GUI virtual terminal, I seem to be able to "find" that session -- and to leave and return to it -- as I expected.

I then recalled reading somewhere that F9 through F12 were used for GUI vts.  That seems to fit in with your suggestion that I've broadly interpreted to mean that I use F1-F6 to create new GUI vts (which also seems to explain why they have text-based traces of X startup activities), then use F9-F12 to run those sessions.  That logic, such as it is, seems to explain why F8 appears as it does...

So thanks for your help.  I'll consider the problem resolved, or at least circumvented, for the time being, even though I don't completely follow the rationale of creating something in one vt so I can run it another...

Cheers, thanks 'gain, & take care,
Riley