[sf-lug] When GUI X sessions turn bad...

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Jan 26 16:46:57 PST 2008

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 01:32:48PM -0800, RBV wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm trying to resolve an  annoyance with my Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) system running Gnome.  For what it's worth, the system has a 2 GHz P4 and 1 GB of RAM, so I don't think system resources are the issue.
>
> The problem is that non-default Gnome sessions, the ones accessed via CTRL+ALT+[F1-F6], don't stay GUI if I leave them alone for even a few seconds.

They don't, they add a new GUI, if I understand your issue correctly.
So go to Ctrl+Alt+F8 for your second (new) session, or +F7 for your first (original) one.

-bill!
(hrm, in KDE, theres a handy GUI right in the panel that lets you switch between
active sessions, or add new ones.  Gnome doesn't have similar?)