[sf-lug] Black hats declare war on Scientology

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 16:32:02 PST 2008

hi

On Jan 25, 2008 4:17 PM, Ernest De Leon <edeleonjr at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it is pretty clear who Anonymous is (if that even makes any
> sense?), so I seriously doubt that FOSS will get the blame for Anonymous'
> actions.

The one thing that I have learned from practicing law and standing in front
of juries is that they will fill in even the smallest holes with huge gaping
errors.  Sometimes you really have to state the obvious, because what you
and I consider to be obvious is not all that obvious to others who are less
familiar with a case than we are.

At any rate, that is why I posted it to this list.  I thought that it was an
interesting sideshow, and maybe newbies might ask us about it, so we would
at least know about it.

> There are plenty of closed source tools that do the same.  In this
> situation, I'm pretty sure they will be looking at the group not the tools.
> But at the same time, the authorities (much like myself) are probably
> sitting back laughing at what's about to happen.

I hope you are correct.  I distinctly recall my girlfriend waking me up on
September 11, 2001, saying "you should see this."  I had been up late the
night before getting some documents email out for east coast deadlines, and
so I was sleeping in.  My first impression was that the events were a
horrible loss of life; my second impression was that the administration
would use the events to achieve other political agendas that were near and
dear to its heart.

And that is my point here.  Authorities might use this attack on Scientology
as an excuse for stepping on a roll-back on the freedoms of the open
Internet, and we should be prepared in case that happens.

> They really don't care and Anonymous is actually doing the world a favor.
> I'm all for it.

I would like to see Scientology be exposed for the murders and fraud they
have perpetrated.  And a small part of myself likes to see Anonymous stick
it to them.  But illegal means are still illegal means, even if deployed
against bad guys, and so I try to not take joy in seeing Scientology's
servers get hammered by Anonymous.  Some things are just wrong, even if done
for the right reasons.