[sf-lug] Feedback on Tenderloin Tech Day

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 16 14:37:02 PST 2008

Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):

> I would suggest that we ask them to sign up for the list then and
> there, and that we practice emailing with them during the session so
> that they know that they can get support and so that they practice
> getting support.  If they don't develop the habits of coming to the
> list for help, they won't seek help, but will just flounder.

Suggestion:  Collect their e-mail addresses on a sign-up sheet, with an
explanation that we're collecting these to send a single-mailing invitation
to SF-LUG's e-mail discussion forum.

Jim or lx-rudis can then use Mailman's "invite" function[1] to send each
of them a URL at which they can, at their option, join this mailing
list.  You'd want to include a paragraph to the invitation text reminding them
what the mailing list is, what it's for, approximate levels of normal
traffic, and that subscribers can easily leave and rejoin at will.

[1] Jim and lx-rudis, that's at
http://linuxmafia.com/mailman/admin/sf-lug/members/add .  Note that you
should always change the radio button from "Subscribe" to "Invite", as
mass-subscribing people without their permission is considered very bad
netiquette.