[sf-lug] Feedback on Tenderloin Tech Day

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 14:50:47 PST 2008

hi

On Jan 16, 2008 2:37 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):
>
> > I would suggest that we ask them to sign up for the list then and
> > there, and that we practice emailing with them during the session so
> > that they know that they can get support and so that they practice
> > getting support.  If they don't develop the habits of coming to the
> > list for help, they won't seek help, but will just flounder.
>
> Suggestion:  Collect their e-mail addresses on a sign-up sheet, with an
> explanation that we're collecting these to send a single-mailing
> invitation
> to SF-LUG's e-mail discussion forum.

Thanks for this suggestion, Rick, but IMHO, it would require more steps to
do it this way.  The advantage of your method is that it is less intrusive,
and gives them time to think about it an not feel rushed.  The disadvantage
of this method, though, is that it requires them to take additional steps.
I am reminded of something that Eric Raymond said last night.  In response
to Daniel Gimpelevich's question / comment, Eric said that it is good to ask
newbies to do as little as possible.  Make steps easy for them.  IMHO, it
would be good to use the first session as a training session, and get them
familiar with using the emailing lists right away.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for your idea, Rick.