[sf-lug] anti-ooxml petition picking up steam

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 15:55:08 PST 2008

hi,

In case you have not signed the petition opposing OOXML as an ISO standard,
or haven't seen the vote count recently, you can see both here:

http://www.noooxml.org/petition

I have submitted this petition to Digg here.  Please help push this story to
the front page, so we can get more signatures!

http://digg.com/software/Petition_opposing_OOXML_reaches_76_505_users_in_45_languages

I also submitted the story to the Slashdot firehose, and it is here:

http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&id=461342

Thanks either way for considering a digg and a vote in the /. firehose.
Here is a copy of the story that I submitted to /.

*"One might think that something as arcane as a data format standard would
not generate international outcry, but more than 76,505 people in 45
languages <http://www.noooxml.org/petition> have signed a petition to oppose
Microsoft's bid to gain ISO status for its OOXML format, and the rate of new
users is accelerating. The ISO vote on OOXML as a standard is coming on
February 25-29, and all parties agree that the stakes are high. In September
2007, Doug Mahugh, Microsoft's Open XML evangelist, called ISO status the
'Gold Standard'<http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007/09/microsoft-tech-.html>and
said that it was in Microsoft's commercial interest to expedite
approval
of OOXML as an ISO standard, and, in its haste, actually lost one country
when Sweden withdrew its vote for
OOXML<http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/30/211227>due
to admitted irregularities in the vote, and saw controversy in the
votes
of New Zealand and
Hungary<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/30/1323216>as well."
*