[sf-lug] NetworkManager vs cmd line!

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Sat Dec 29 09:02:37 PST 2007

Sorry, been away from the Internet (gasp) for the Xmas break...

On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 12:26 -0800, Alex Kleider wrote:
> re from Tom:
> I assumed you wanted to do it all manually. You could also try
> NetworkManager if you're not averse to that GUIs. Basically just
> remove/comment any reference to the cards you want NetworkManager to
> manage from /etc/network/interfaces, and then make sure it's running
> and
> it'll take care of it all for you.
> Tom, NetworkManager seems to be my problem: I set up /etc/resolv.conf
> with the appropriate servers and then things work; next time I reboot,
> resolve.conf contains only the internal IP address of my router;

Are you sure your internal router doesn't function as a DNS server? I
know my SBC DSL modem does.

> Something is over writing my config file, I assume it must be
> NetworkManager and I certainly didn't ask it to do so!

Yes, NetworkManager will overwrite resolv.conf if it's being used at
all.

> Am I right in assuming that the GUI network manager is in fact
> NetworkManager? Perhaps I can just turn it off so it's not "helping"
> me. The kind of help it's providing I can do without! But ofcourse it
> would be nice to figure out what's really  happening and correct the
> problem.

It sounds like NetworkManager is overwriting the file. Typically it will
leave a comment in the file to that effect, though. I would simply
remove NetworkManager from your "Sessions" options so that it doesn't
startup on session login and see if that fixes (i.e. doesn't overwrite
resolv.conf) for you.

Thanks, Tom