[sf-lug] chattr +i

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 01:29:40 PST 2007

On Dec 22, 2007 7:29 PM, Alex Kleider <a_kleider at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Kristian, any chance you might elaborate (perhaps just a tiny bit?)
> This seems to be a command that changes the file system attributes. I
> hate to risk changing anything without understanding what's really
> being done. How would "immutable" help? and what if any other
> ramifications might there be?

$ sudo lsattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

This command will ensure that your resolv.conf will remain intact
after editing.  In fact, not even root-owned processes will be even to
change the file until you unset the attribute with chattr -i.  List
the file attributes with lsattr...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious."