[sf-lug] Web Log Analyzers

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Dec 6 16:19:43 PST 2007

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Steven Friese wrote:

> From what I've read from some Open Source web analyzer docs, there is no
> real way to get these kinds of statistics since:
> 1.  an IP address does not necessarily represent a person
> 2.  dial-up lines can get different IP addresses for each call
> 3.  NAT based routers show all users at one IP address
> 4.  more than one person can use a computer
> 5.  etc.

So the commercial software just makes stuff up, and hides this complexity
behind lies.

> The problem is that, since a commercial software has these numbers (and
> advertisers seem to love them) we need a (preferably) Open Source
> product that can give those stats.  Failing that, we need commercial
> software that runs on Linux and provides those stats.

So you either want open source lies for free, or proprietary lies for pay.

I'll stop making fun of you now, sorry if it was too harsh, but I hope
you see what I meant.

Have you seen http://bbclone.de/ ?

-- Asheesh.

Underlying Principle of Socio-Genetics: