[sf-lug] Web Log Analyzers

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Dec 6 16:19:43 PST 2007

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Steven Friese wrote:

> From what I've read from some Open Source web analyzer docs, there is no
> real way to get these kinds of statistics since:
>
> 1.  an IP address does not necessarily represent a person
> 2.  dial-up lines can get different IP addresses for each call
> 3.  NAT based routers show all users at one IP address
> 4.  more than one person can use a computer
> 5.  etc.

So the commercial software just makes stuff up, and hides this complexity
behind lies.

> The problem is that, since a commercial software has these numbers (and
> advertisers seem to love them) we need a (preferably) Open Source
> product that can give those stats.  Failing that, we need commercial
> software that runs on Linux and provides those stats.

So you either want open source lies for free, or proprietary lies for pay.
(-;

I'll stop making fun of you now, sorry if it was too harsh, but I hope
you see what I meant.

Have you seen http://bbclone.de/ ?

-- Asheesh.

--