[sf-lug] Web Log Analyzers

Steven Friese stvn_consult at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 16:59:56 PST 2007

Far be it from me to accuse commercial software of any fibbing and hiding it.  I'm sure they would be happy to let users check their source code if anyone would just ask politely.  :-)

I would actually like to use software that doesn't lie or cheat, either for free or for cost.  Unfortunately, it seems that people who want to spend money (advertisers) want some sort of guarantee that they will be a return on their investment.  In other words, they love numbers and don't care how they get them.  They have to justify the expense somehow.  Commercial interests are happy to give them what they ask for.  <sarcasm>Open Source seems to have this strange idea of 'ethics'</sarcasm>.

The sad part about it is that, since commercial software sells these ideas, Open Source is made to look inferior because they don't provide the same thing.  I'll choose Open Source any time I can, at least I know I can trust it.

Thanks for the BBClone tip.  I'll give it a try.