[sf-lug] Web Log Analyzers

Steven Friese stvn_consult at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 15:13:24 PST 2007

First of all, let me apologize for the junk at the top of my email request, this is the first time that has ever happened and I don't know the cause.

In the Webtrends report, there is a page called Visitors Overview.  Right under the top graph is a statistic that reads "XXX people visited this site".  They also have a number for Absolute Unique Visitors on the same page.

>From what I've read from some Open Source web analyzer docs, there is no real way to get these kinds of statistics since:

1.  an IP address does not necessarily represent a person
2.  dial-up lines can get different IP addresses for each call
3.  NAT based routers show all users at one IP address
4.  more than one person can use a computer
5.  etc.

The problem is that, since a commercial software has these numbers (and advertisers seem to love them) we need a (preferably) Open Source product that can give those stats.  Failing that, we need commercial software that runs on Linux and provides those stats.

I suggested Google-Analytics but for some reason it is forbidden to be used here.

Thanks for your help.