[sf-lug] term under Ubuntu7.10 and nvidia!

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 18:48:45 PST 2007

Ernest: you were right and I thank you greatly for the advice.
The installation program had already detected that the computer did
have an nvidia card and had pushed me to use the proprietary driver
which I did.
Adding:  Option "addARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
to the "Screen" section of /etc/X11/xorg.config solved the problem: I
now get a proper terminal EXCEPT..
if I issue an
$exit
command, instead of the terminal disappearing as it does on my laptop,
it just stops responding to my key board and I have to close the window
by clicking on the top right hand x. Still not quite the way it should
be BUT a big big improvement.
Can you refer me to a source to learn more about just what that option
does?
Thanks again.

Kristien: you were right in that the problem appears to have been in
the video card. I don't know what "compiz fusion" is. Can you direct me
somewhere to find out? I did change visual effects from normal to none
but did it after changing the config file so I can't report whether
that would have solved the problem. If it is important to anyone to
find out, I'm happy to change back the config file and report. Let me
know.
By the way: the change in visual effects made no change that I could
see.
alex

alex at kleider.net