[sf-lug] Check-in: Tech Support Day

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 12:23:35 PST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 12:18 PM, Kami Griffiths <kgriffiths at compumentor.org> wrote:

>  Great questions! I'll bring them to my meeting this afternoon and get
> back to you with some answers.

I have one more question I'll be sending you soon.  It has to do with
retaining the data on Tom's intake form.  The best way to provide on-going
support for people is to have a grepable (searchable) text (.txt) copy of
the form that we fill out on the day, and then store it on-line.

I would be willing to offer the Digital Tipping Point wiki as a place where
we could store the data, which means that it would be slightly more
searchable than just sitting locked away privately somewhere.  But, the
downside of having stuff in public is that anyone can find it, and that
might not be desireable for some people.

But I do think we should keep a knowledge base of the people that we have
helped, so that we don't have to recreate the wheel each time that people
come back in.  And, I can guarantee you that we will have repeat business.
The one thing that I have learned from being a level one tech support person
is that newbies will have lots and lots of repeat questions.  It is often
the same questions over and over and over again.  To repeat re-inventing the
wheel each time, we can maintain a database and thus help each client much
better.

In fact, maybe we want to generate an OOo Base database out of the question
that Tom has drawn up, so that it is searchable that way.  Just a thought.