[sf-lug] Sun solaris differences...

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 20:55:12 PST 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 11:40 PM, Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu>
wrote:

> Quoting from a small time-warp "Peters, Ola (MSCIBARRA)" wrote:
>
> > I have a potential opportunity...but I need a quick refresher on Sun
> > Solaris 9.  And what are the differences between 8, 9 and 10??
> > Anyone out there that could help me??
>
> A) The Sun Marketing materials probably give the "glossy" (rough) idea
>   of what's new/"better"/shiny
> B) Check the release notes for each version - they generally have pretty
>   good coverage of what's new and different
> C) Check the upgrade instructions - they also often cover key differences
> D) Check other more Solaris-specific resources (e.g. lists, groups,
> Usenet,
>   materials on Sun's sites, etc.)

Good tips.  From my own personal usage of Solaris, I can tell you that
unless you need some of the features, you won't see a large difference
between 8 and 9.  10 is "free", and the previous releases weren't.  Solaris
9/10 both have a gaping telnet vulnerability if you don't patch your default
installations.  Solaris 10 has containers, which are a form of
virtualization -- not sure if they existed in Solaris 9.  Don't forget
dtrace.  Doesn't 10 also add ZFS support?  I think Solaris 10 is what you
are going to want to run.  The new desktop is something more friendly than
the old CDE interface, and is Gnome-like...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen