[sf-lug] ZFS & Solaris 10 (Sun solaris differences...)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 26 21:53:58 PST 2007

Quoting Kristian Erik Hermansen <kristian.hermansen at gmail.com>:

> dtrace.  Doesn't 10 also add ZFS support?  I think Solaris 10 is what you

Solaris 10 did add ZFS ... or rather ZFS was added to Solaris 10.

ZFS was *not* realeased - at least to general availability - when Solaris
10 was first released to general availability.

If I'm not mistaken, ZFS *is* some flavor of open source, ... but
the license is not GPL compatible, hence ZFS won't be in the Linux
kernel, though it can run in userspace (but there's a significant
performance penalty for that, however).  I haven't followed it that
closely, so not sure if that's 100% correct, but that's what I seem to
recall having heard/read on the matter.

ZFS *is* a pretty cool and quite capable filesystem, ... to bad it's not
GPL (or licensed such that it can mix and play nicely with GPL).

references/excerpts:
http://www.rawbw.com/~mp/linux/lvm/balug/P.S.html