[sf-lug] new computer

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 13 10:51:19 PST 2007

Quoting bobbie sellers (bliss at california.com):

[a SATA DVD burner made by Samsung:]

> Only comment I have is that get some references for the Linux
> compatibility with the Samsung.  Recently I searched for Linux DVD
> writer compatibility and the only thing I found was HP was generally
> well supported and worked fine.

Starting around 1998, CD/DVD compatibility at the software level became
pretty much a non-issue with the arrival and adoption of the standard
MMC (multi media command) command set.  Media-burning software (such as
cdrecord) was made MMC-compliant at that time -- and from that point
forward could address all MMC-observing drives equally well.

(There are gotchas, of course, including firmware errors, but generally
speaking there have been no software-level problems at the
burning-software level ever since MMC compliance became widespread.)

Above relies on memory about the spec.  If curious, you could read the
real straight dope in the CD Recordable FAQ, http://www.cdrfaq.org/ .