[sf-lug] Buying Ubuntu Support from Canonical not as smooth as running the Operating System!

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 17:43:02 PDT 2007

On 10/5/07, Martin Owens <doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well that is to do with the way AMEX take the piss, I wouldn't mind
> but you try doing a switch/meastro or electron/visa transaction from
> the uk on US websites; i mean seriously banks screw us so badly and we
> don't even flinch. Then again no one in the UK accepts AMEX so you
> might as well throw the thing away if you go on holiday.

I bet you are right, and I do know about AMEX being more expensive to
accept.  However, I do think it would be wise to accept, as many US
corporations utilize AMEX.  It is better to find this out now, while
Ubuntu is still in bloom and getting bigger, rather than turn away a
very large order.  My order was for merely one license.

> > * After all this, we had to fill out the order by hand and fax the
> > paperwork back to a UK fax number (no US number available)
>
> What the hell is wrong with that? are Americans allergic to the
> international community or is it just something that you have managed
> to breed in over the 400 years you've existed. Get over yourself, a UK
> based company is damn well going to have a uk phone number, uk times
> and yes even uk banking and credit clearance.
>
> See this is why Europeans don't like doing business in the usa,
> customers in America whine about everything being foreign and
> different.

Wouldn't you agree that faxing things along these days is quite
tedious when we have superior technology at our disposal.  I could
have scanned it in and sent it via email for sure, and I just didn't
have access to a scanner immediately.  However, I think that since USA
is such a large country with a lot of money to spend on such support
agreements, it may be wise to set up a toll free number, if they
really need to accept faxes from Americans.

Of course, I could be living in my own little world here.  Maybe
Americans are too whiny and need to change.  I am not sure.  I guess
Canonical would need to take into consideration the pros/cons of doing
such things.  It is up to them, not me, but as you can see, I didn't
have a great experience and I am a huge Ubuntu fan...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen