[sf-lug] Suggestions for "traditional" *nix email client?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 27 14:14:11 PDT 2007

Quoting Kristian Erik Hermansen (kristian.hermansen at gmail.com):

> pine is no longer "free" -- and that's why we have mutt now, which is
> in Ubuntu's repos btw...

My, this topic makes me nostalgic.  And it makes me post this oldie-but-...
oldie:  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=warez#pine

Note that U of W finally threw in the towel on Pine, and Alpine will be
ready to take Pine's place Real Soon Now.

I just love this revision history.  I wonder how many nines they'll
stack up, to keep away the timid?

  Oct 1, 2006 - While Alpine isn't quite ready for release just yet,
    development continues at full speed. Keep checking this page for updates
    as the release nears.
  Nov 29, 2006 - Alpine 0.8 is released to the Alpine alpha testers.
  Dec 12, 2006 - Alpine 0.81 is released to the Alpine alpha testers.
  Jan 25, 2007 - Alpine 0.82 is released to the Alpine alpha testers.
  Mar 02, 2007 - Alpine 0.83 is released to the Alpine alpha testers.
  Mar 30, 2007 - Alpine 0.98 is released to the Alpine alpha testers.
  May 02, 2007 - Alpine 0.99 is released to the Alpine alpha testers.
  Jun 28, 2007 - Alpine 0.999 is released to the Alpine alpha testers.
  Aug 31, 2007 - Alpine 0.9999 is released to the Alpine alpha testers.

http://www.washington.edu/alpine/