[sf-lug] Suggestions for "traditional" *nix email client?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 27 13:56:55 PDT 2007

Quoting RBV (GoodWriter2548 at earthlink.net):

[You're using Mozilla Thunderbird with multiple POP/IMAP sources]

> Having said that, I'm curious about more traditional *nix programs for
> handling email such as elm (a.k.a. elmo?), mail (alias Mail), mutt, pine
> (not available, by the way, in Ubuntu's standard repositories), and so on.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for which of these programs might be the
> most educational and enjoyable alternative to Thunderbird?  Note that I'd
> really want to continue managing multiple POP and IMAP accounts from a
> single program instance?

Wow, not sure.  Most console mailers' usage model is predicated on
modularity, in the sense that, if you're going to use them to poll
multiple POP/IMAP accounts, you set up a separate Mail Delivery Agent
(MDA) to handle that portion of the task, and use your choice of
best-of-breed MUA (mail user agent, i.e., mail-reading/composing
program) for _that_ part of the problem.

I personally have no experience with that, as all of my mail lands right
on my MTA (mail transfer agent = SMTP host) machine, and I read it right
there without fetching it to elsewhere.

Some options for both categories:

"MDAs" and "MUAs" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Mail/