[sf-lug] Suggestions for "traditional" *nix email client?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Sep 27 14:04:06 PDT 2007

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:

> On 9/27/07, RBV <GoodWriter2548 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Having said that, I'm curious about more traditional *nix programs for
>> handling email such as elm (a.k.a. elmo?), mail (alias Mail), mutt, pine
>> (not available, by the way, in Ubuntu's standard repositories), and so on.
>
> pine is no longer "free" -- and that's why we have mutt now, which is
> in Ubuntu's repos btw...

I'll give a long, warm, loving response later about why I love PINE, but
let me say now that PINE is non-free, and so I don't use it anymore - I
use "alpine", the successor to PINE maintained by the same razor-sharp
folks at washington.edu.  Alpine is Free Software (available for re-use
under the terms of the Apache License 2.0, which is compatibile with the
GPLv3 (but not the GPLv2)), and I maintain it in Debian GUN/Linux (0).

Go ahead, install alpine from the repositories, and then read Nancy
McGough's awesome web pages about PINE (just about all of which apply to
alpine also) and the comp.mail.pine FAQ on the web.

That package is also in Ubuntu repositories, although not usually the
latest version due to Ubuntu's schedule for updating from Debian.

-- Asheesh.

0. At least, that's what I figured ESR would have called it.

--
Well, I'm disenchanted too.  We're all disenchanted.
 		-- James Thurber