[sf-lug] FTP support for a Scientology cult-buster

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 11:09:01 PDT 2007

hi

On 9/19/07, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, Christian Einfeldt wrote:
>
> > I have a really interesting video that I have shot for a Scientology
> > buster.
>
> [snip]
>
> > At any rate, I am thinking that if we had an FTP site where I could load
> up
> > the video that I shot of this guy giving his talk, he could grab it,
> edit it
> > with a FOSS movie video editor such as Avidemux under Windows, and then
> put
> > it up on YouTube.
>
> How much space do you need?

Maybe 2 GBs

(And again, why not archive.org?  If YouTube is your target, then there'll
> be no difference in quality between compressing it to MPEG-4 and sending
> that to him vs. sending him raw DV (which is also compressed, just not
> very much).)

I'm not sure that the Archive would appreciate being used as an FTP transfer
device.  I'll ask them, but we are using the Archive as our site for
building the DTP, and I'm not sure that I would want to risk pissing them
off by having video get put up there, only to be taken down again.

Also, I am dead certain that I do not want to deal with the issues of having
Scientology bombard the Internet Archive's Digital Tipping Point Video
Collection with lots of crap.  Dealing with Scientology is a task unto
itself, especially if the video exists for any period of time.  There are
who new levels of legal attacks, bot attacks, trojans, etc that you need to
deal with if you are going to be hosting any anti-Scientology stuff for any
period of time.  I kind of don't want to deal with that fight right now, as
I am mostly focused on FOSS, and this is just a temporary side diversion for
me.

Coincidentally, this guy also changed US Constitutional law with his case
against Scientology.  Scientology actually tried to raise a legal defense
that said that they were exercising their First Amendment rights of freedom
of religious expression by torturing this guy.  The court shot that argument
down, and so now Scientology can never again raise that argument.  Or the
Krishnas.  Or any other cult.  So IMHO, this guy is worth helping with a
one-off kind of video transfer.