[sf-lug] Fwd: urgent help with networking Linux and Windows at a public school

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sat Sep 8 15:27:31 PDT 2007

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007, jim stockford wrote:

>   it's strange to read "we are attempting to get a static
> IP address from" a router. A static IP address is one
> that is set on the host itself. Assuming the network is
> running okay and the host is powered off but connected,
> when you power the host on, the host comes up without
> asking anything of the router because some human
> set the host to have a static IP address. The host comes
> up with the (hopefully correct) IP address and talks to
> the network.

Sure, but the other (and still fairly reasonable) way to do is to
configure the DHCP server (the router) to give a particular IP address to
the a particular MAC address.

That way, the management of IP addresses is centralized in the DHCP
server.

-- Asheesh.

--
Save the whales.  Collect the whole set.