[sf-lug] Fwd: urgent help with networking Linux and Windows at a public school

jim stockford jim at well.com
Sat Sep 8 15:15:51 PDT 2007

    it's strange to read "we are attempting to get a static
IP address from" a router. A static IP address is one
that is set on the host itself. Assuming the network is
running okay and the host is powered off but connected,
when you power the host on, the host comes up without
asking anything of the router because some human
set the host to have a static IP address. The host comes
up with the (hopefully correct) IP address and talks to
the network.