[sf-lug] Fw: Another volunteer & next steps

Romel Jacinto penguin at techbandit.com
Tue Jun 19 11:11:37 PDT 2007

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Tom Haddon wrote:

> I have copies of both stock Ubuntu and the alternate install CD...
<snip>

Hi All,

Disclosure:
My workplace is the source of the pc's that are being donated to Kami.

I hope to be involved with the install-fest and setup, time permitting,
but whatever happens to the computers is up to the SF-LUG community and
the housing project.

That said, and not to belabor the obvious, but here are some points I'd
like to bring up for discussion.
The hardware and operating system installation are only a small part of
the larger picture.

1. Evaluation with housing project about what their specific application
needs are.

2. Training for computer lab managers.

3. Training for end-users.

The computers are all nearly identical Dell Gx150 (900 MHz, 256MB or 512
MB of RAM, 10 GB hard drives). I hope that there is some thought given to
imaging since there are 15 pc's.

So that's my $0.02.
I'm just happy that there will be some new folks using Linux and that
computers can get some more use before being recycled.

--
Romel