[sf-lug] Fw: Another volunteer & next steps

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Tue Jun 19 11:32:45 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 11:11 -0700, Romel Jacinto wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Tom Haddon wrote:
>
> > I have copies of both stock Ubuntu and the alternate install CD...
> <snip>
>

> Hi All,
>
> Disclosure:
> My workplace is the source of the pc's that are being donated to Kami.
>
> I hope to be involved with the install-fest and setup, time permitting,
> but whatever happens to the computers is up to the SF-LUG community and
> the housing project.
>
> That said, and not to belabor the obvious, but here are some points I'd
> like to bring up for discussion.
> The hardware and operating system installation are only a small part of
> the larger picture.
>
> 1. Evaluation with housing project about what their specific application
> needs are.

This one's kind of key, and will really determine if the project's a
success or failure. For instance, if they __need__ Quickbooks then we're
out of luck. Michael, are you planning to do this with Kami, or has it
been determined already?

> 2. Training for computer lab managers.

Wasn't aware there were computer lab managers. Maybe they could be
trained (if necessary) to train the end users so that we aren't
duplicating effort. Are they going to be responsible for ongoing
maintenance of the machines/applying security updates, backups, etc.?

> 3. Training for end-users.
>
> The computers are all nearly identical Dell Gx150 (900 MHz, 256MB or 512
> MB of RAM, 10 GB hard drives). I hope that there is some thought given to
> imaging since there are 15 pc's.

I'm not familiar with imaging technologies myself, but think if there
are folks with the knowledge to do that, it'd be a great approach.

Thanks, Tom