[sf-lug] recommendations on file system

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Mar 27 11:47:24 PDT 2007

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Sameer Verma (sverma at sfsu.edu):
>

>> Does anyone have suggestions for a filesystem that's writeable from XP
>> and Linux and supports large (4GB+) files so that I can use this
>> partition from both OSes?
>>

> Ext2 IFS for Windows
> http://www.fs-driver.org/
>
> Notable points:
>
> o  4 GB+ files are supported.  Accessing one for the first time sets a
>    flag bit so that ridiculously ancient sub-2.2 kernels know not to
>    mount the filesystem read/write, thereafter.
> o  Access rights are not maintained.
> o  Dotfiles are given no special presentation within MS-Windows.
> o  Access is denied to "special" files (which fortunately doesn't matter).
> o  ext3 volumes are fully readable, but without journaling functions.
> o  Licence appears to be gratis-usage proprietary "freeware" [sic],
>    i.e., lawful for any usage or redistribution, but with no right to
>    modify; driver source code is unavailable.  Binary i386 binary
>    software.

Sorry for replying on this  bit late.

I came across another Ext2 FileSystem driver for Windows:
http://ext2fsd.sourceforge.net/
I've been using it for some time now. Seems to work well. Given the
choice of NTFS and Ext2/3, I decided to go with Ext camp simply because
we know how it works and its not going to be [potentially] held hostage
by a third party. Cannot say the same for NTFS.

As I usually use Linux (I don't boot into Windows unless I *really* have
to) if I can read from and write to Ext2/3 partitions from both sides, I
am quite happy.

Thanks for all the pointers.

cheers,
Sameer